The Alabama Partnership for Children is a proud member of the Help Me Grow National Network.
Help Me Grow Alabama is a program of the Alabama Partnership for Children as an affiliate of the Help Me Grow National Network. Help Me Grow Alabama is funded by the Alabama Department of Early Childhood Education through the Preschool Development Grant and the Alabama Department of Human Resources.
Help Me Grow will...
- Listen to concerns and help decide which referrals are best for families
- Find services that are appropriate and available for referrals
- Connect children to services
- Follow up to find out if a successful connection was made
- Breadth and scope of HMG system Implementation and progress since 2018
- Capacity to reach children, families, community partners, and child health care providers
- Novel approaches and system enhancements currently explored by HMG affiliates
How Does Help Me Grow Work?
The four program components are:
Making the Connection. Receive confidential calls from family members regarding a child’s developmental or behavioral concerns, assess the child’s needs and available resources, and refer families to developmental services.
Building the Network. Develop ongoing relationships with programs in the community and support the maintenance of an updated resource inventory.
Educating Providers. Educate professionals about the importance of developmental surveillance and screening while promoting access to developmental services.
Identifying Gaps and Barriers. Collect data and analyze to document and identify needs to more effectively connect families to community resources.
Who Can Use Help Me Grow?
Anyone can dial 1-833-939-0336 in Alabama to connect with Help Me Grow if they are:
- Wondering about a child’s development, behavior or learning
- Needing support to access services
- Assisting a client, family member, or friend to seek information about developmental services
- Requesting inclusion of an organization in the developmental services database for referrals
What is Help Me Grow: Books, Balls, & Blocks?
Books, Balls, and Blocks is a free event held for children and their families. The purpose of the event is to screen children for developmental delays in the first 5 years of life, while the kids are playing!
The event is fun, educational, and exciting! While children engage in games and activities at different stations, parents learn how these interactions help stimulate their child’s development.
Also, while the children are playing, parents can complete the Ages and Stages Questionnaire (ASQ-3). The ASQ-3 is reliable, valid, cost-effective, and easy to use. The ASQ-3 is the recommended tool to screen young children for developmental delays.
On site, there will be professionals to score the ASQ-3. Afterwards, parents will receive a follow-up from the professional to learn if his or her child’s development; 1) appears on schedule, 2) needs to be monitored and provided learning activities, or 3) requires further assessment with a professional.
Parents will be given resources concerning their child’s development and fun activities that they can do with their child! Free community resources will also be available at the event!
Our hope is for Help Me Grow: Books, Balls, and Blocks to be a free, fun, and exciting event that supports healthy development among children in your community.
Did You Know?
Nearly 85% of brain development occurs in the first few years of life.
Like us on Facebook to learn more!
Contact Us Today!
Help Me Grow Alabama